View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
mmmodem
EcoModding Lurker

2006 Honda Civic - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 44.84 mpg (US)

DW's 2009 Sonata - '09 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 29.04 mpg (US)
My previous sports car was a 1995 Milano Red Acura Integra GSR. It was 170 screaming horsepower from a tiny 1.8 liter VTEC engine. I loved that car to death. It was a horrible purchase in most regards. I had to buy it not only used but salvaged because I was a teenager with zero funds. The place I bought it from was owned by my sister's fiance. With no credit of my own, he let me finance it over 2 years.

It was loud and obnoxious. I averaged 25 mpg in the city and sometimes got up to 30 mpg on the highway. The tiny 10 gallon tank meant I had to refuel every 250 miles which is very often when you are a teenager with a red sports car and a lot of scrub friends.

I added the standard cold air intake and ceramic header for more power. I upgraded the tires to 205/55/15 from 195/55/15 stock for more grip. A new exhaust would have been next if the car wasn't rear ended by a 68 year old man in a late model chevy pickup. I still remember how the engine bay was crumpled sitting underneath an SUV whos tires were staring me in the face. The trunk also crumpled up allowing the passenger compartment to be mostly intact. It was like my car suddently turned into a Beetle. There was red liquid splattered all over the front of my white T-shirt. I went hysterical looking for a wound on my face and body. There were none. Just then I noticed I was sucking on a red candy and spit it out.

I was fine except for a concussion and a slightly dislocated large intestine caused by the seatbelt. The car had saved my life. I loved that car to death. I replaced her with an economical 36 mpg Toyota Corolla.