View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #197 (permalink)
Quasiff
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminT View Post
From a design viewpoint, a commuter vehicle requires the same level of consideration as a racer. (If Moto GP et al allowed Hossack, they'd all be running them within a season. Being able to brake harder/later than the rest puts you in front.) .
There's nothing in the MotoGP rules that prevents any front suspension so far envisioned. I suspect it's conservatism and some unfamiliar feedback issues with some designs that prevents it.

Quote:
Tank slappers are not limited to high rake-angled racers.
Tank slappers are not a characteristic only of tele forks. They could occur with any front end with positive rake and trail combination, given the right conditions.

Quote:

The handlebar axis is not parallel with the steering head axis. (I can't tell from the pics if the connecting rod forms a parallelogram. The joints should be positioned at the same relative angle and distance from their axes.)
It looks to me like Visionary has a single drag link, so unless he runs out of angularity his steering will work OK. A bit different at extremes, but not noticeable withing the 2 or 3 degrees used in normal steering. Having said that, the bent link looks like it could have a problem with stiffness, and I too would prefer to see the handlebar and steering axes closer to parallel. Anyway, it can easily be checked statically.

Quote:
A Hossack can be made by a home hobbyist with shoddy equipment.

The final consideration I'm going to lay on you is "tuning." You can do all the development work you want, but, as you said. You won't know how it's going to perform until you build it. With threaded Heim joints positioned between shims, you can adjust the angles and dimensions until you find the sweet spot for production. No such luck with telies.
A poor Hossack can be made simply. A Hossack that performs better than a modern tele fork is a project on its own. What is chosen depends on what the aim of the project is. This is a Honda 90 powered bike, which is hardly going to stress any tele fork, let alone the one he's selected. One advantage of the Hossack over the tele in this case is that it can be lighter. However, a simpler way to save mass is to make a leading link fork that uses the steering head and geometry of the tele fork. Or pick a lighter front fork and wheel.

No argument that the Hossack looks to be a better concept long term though.