View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #198 (permalink)
big shafe
This is the year

Bug - '06 Volkswagen Beetle TDI PKG1
90 day: 37.04 mpg (US)

F-350 - '11 Ford F-350 Lariat
90 day: 16.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
Some replies

Big shafe – just to clarify, I have two things to consider. Firstly, temporary support when stationary during a journey (stop lights) and secondly, permanent support when entering/exiting the vehicle (parking). Each solution must be independent of the other.
Stop lights. In the short term I will use access panels in the lower side area to allow the driver to place his/her feet on the roadway, just like a regular motorcycle. These panels will move independently of the top canopy, and will require a degree of automation. I like pneumatics for this task, but have not finalised a design yet.
Parking. The parking stand will comprise a pair of “legs” which need a fairly wide base, and so will deploy at about 45degrees (viewed from front). They must lock into an “overcenter” position to remain deployed for long periods, and must allow for suspension travel when the driver gets out. Therefore a degree of lifting is essential, which will require power assistance. I like pneumatics for this role too, specially as some synergy with the stop-light solution is possible. Here is an image of how I think it will all work
Why do they have to be separate solutions? Surely you could adapt one mechanism to serve both purposes.

If you hit city traffic, opening and closing the doors will become monotonous very quickly.