View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #62 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Well, of course we do. The silver lining in this statement is that if we did NOT waste computer memory, the consumer-financed revolution that produced desktops, laptops and now smart phones would never have happened.
Not true in the least they would still exist and would have still come down in price (to what degree?), there would have likely been more "variety" and more emphasis on coding methods.

But I ask, would smart phones really be that much of a loss? I see young children walk off to the park and sit by themselves and play with their phone, I see groups of people who never speak walk together and play with phones.

Is this really healthy? Its no wonder people have lost their ability to work together and communicate R1t3?

I have a feeling we would be healthier and more well rounded if smart phones were relegated to businessmen and the like and that would have likely been the affect if PCs stay'd in the business setting with only cast aways making it to the consumers, which was how things were until the late 90's for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
And the closest you'd ever get to posting to a forum like this would be to type out assembler code on your TRS-80 to appear on a BBS to be downloaded at 300 baud.
Actually this isn't correct, I have gone online in full color recently on an 80286 with 4mb of ram, pages compile much the same as the new machine just at 640x480x256. I can also scan documents on an 8088 XT w/ 512k of ram and play music & radio on it (it has a radio card from 1987). I don't ahve a soundblaster 8 bit but full screen color video and stereo audio can also be played on an XT (lookup trixter) uncreativelabs.org

Most everything you do now can be done in one form or another on most any platform. Bandwidth would have likely continued to expand due to the number of machines in existence and cards to support current standards would be offered for most machines considered common.

Likely if people valued computers more to the point of keeping them indefinitely you would see many more upgrade products on the market, The long tradition of the electronics (TV) repairman would still exist and also software designers would become more creative in how they implement products, as opposed to whatever the compiler regurgitates.

If we would have followed this standard, computers would have been built to last and been built to be repaired, they would also be worth repairing and the amount of toxic garbage would have been reduced exponentially.

The sad part is from a functional standpoint MS office which is somewhere around 4gb can be done in less than 4mb to have a similar program that has all the same features. We are getting to the point that a retarded lemur could make tighter code.

We value product to market time and eye candy more than non-redundant well coded software and this was true in the 486 era, now we went over the edge, many times a typical program runs duplicated routines over and over throughout because no person physically perused the real code.

Heck take a look at the coding on any webpage, over 90% is filler, most pages could easily be done in plain HTML 3.2 in under 1/10 the space.

I am sure many webmasters wouldn't mind 1/10 less bandwidth with the same user base, too bad no one wants the time and pain of doing it by hand though.

Ah well
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-15-2012), IamIan (05-16-2012), user removed (05-15-2012)