View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Uhm... Why not just re-install the A/C?
Trying to find a way to reduce weight and engine parasitic loss, while keeping cool on most short trips. Plus, just trying to think creatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
How long do you plan on driving? You would need a HUGE reservoir to do any substantial trip.

Installing AC would be the best option.

Alternate options:

Cool-shirt (DIY setup info all over the lemons forums: Summer Approaches : share your best cool shirt/seat setup links (Page 1))

Cool seat. IIRC someone on the lemons forum did a cool seat as well. Just took the cover off the seat, pushed some copper tubing into the foam, and put a little bit of foam on top. This could easily be converted to a warm seat in the winter as well

(The above was with a fixed back seat which is well insulated on the backside due to the fiberglass construction)
Some neat DIY stuff there! I'll have to keep some of those in mind.

Average trip time: ~10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Hi NoD,
An average car A/C provides about 50,000 BTU/H of cooling with an added engine load of about 6 HP. A ton of ice has the cooling power equivalent to 12,000 BTU/H over 24 hours. So to have the same cooling as an average A/C means melting ice at the rate of 1 ton every 6 hours. If you don't need the A/C on full blast, and as you say, your trips are short, maybe you can figure on an hour at 24,000 BTU/H. So you'd need to load up with 166 lbs of ice. In your car an extra 166 lbs might increase fuel consumption by 1 mpg. That's a block of about 3 cu. ft. of ice, which doesn't sound like much space to me. The local liquor store sells crushed ice: 10 lb bags for about a buck each, and 2 bags are a little less than 1 cu. ft.
If you have a lot of free ice, and space to carry it, this should work fine.
-mort
Thanx for the math skills in use. I think this is more what I was after, just didn't know how to go about asking it I guess. Looks like it was take WAY more storage (as well as weight) put into the ice alone to make this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
idaho has very low humidity.

you are better off figuring out an EVAP system - swamp cooler style.
That was my 2nd thought on the matter if a small ice canister was just not going to work. Would replacing the evap coil of the AC with a simple high-pressure mister system work decently? Would be easy to wire up the pump to turn on with the AC switch and wouldn't take very much water...