View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #36 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
I'm not sure at what point any given manufacturer says damage might occur. However, most say 10% is safe on standard EFI, and no more. Flex-fuel vehicles are designed to use 15%.

As for efficiency, the EPA and Consumer Reports agree, Ethanol sucks FE, as compared to gas. No major study that I know of says otherwise. No scientist alive claims that gas has less usable energy than ethanol, or that ethanol is superior in energy storage and/or release.

As for what people on threads say, there are people who say they are running their cars on water, orange juice or coffee. I really don't have much confindence in what they say, for scientific reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
*Sigh* Your avatar shows you have a bias against ethanol. As stated above MN (will) and Brazil both run mixtures of over E10 without damaging engines. Here's a link for a EPA approved conversion kit for ethanol for non FFV. Here's another for a pilot program from the KS that some cars get better mileage with blends of E20 or E30. I have found this also to be true.

The wilki page listed above in the previous post I found to be pretty accurate along with these links. I agree that you get less mileage with a non modified car on E85 but some cars will get better mileage with ethanol at varying blends. Like most thing related to the FE game it's something to experiment with and make your own risk accessment.