View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ford Man
Master EcoModder

mwebb, The writer didn't say all shops were like this, but you and I both know there are garages where this is common practice. If I recall correctly from when I read this he said he use to work as a mechanic, not just a paper pusher. I do most of my own repairs and have been learning about cars for the past 40 years, since before I started driving, but when it's something I don't have the knowledge or tools to do myself I tell them specifically what I want done. I don't throw parts at a problem either I do my own diagnosis. When electronic ignition and computer controlled systems became popular I didn't know about any of it, but I studied the systems and learned about them and about anyone who sets their mind to it can do the same thing. My son's car had a #4 cylinder misfire a couple weeks ago, there were many possibilities, but with testing the components I was able to figure out it was a bad coil. If my son had taken the car to a garage probably the first thing they would have done would have been put in a new set of plugs and wires which it didn't need. About the only things I won't tackle with my self learned skills, tools, Chilton's, Haynes, and Ford factory manuals are transmission repairs, internal engine repairs and exhaust system repairs. I have done my own exhaust system repairs, but found it was much easier to let someone else do it and didn't cost much more than the parts cost me. I too have tools that I've bought for a specific job that may never be used more than 1 or 2 times and I also have a few I've bought just in case, but the savings by doing my own work was well worth the purchase price of the tools. I used to work as a carpenter and know the expense of having to buy tools for the job, replacing broken/worn out tools and tools that get lost. I had hand tools, electric tools and battery operated tools that got lost, wore out or got damaged that I had to replace. I know mechanics have more tools that are outdated than I do, but when technology changes often the needed tools do to, but like me, I doubt you have tools that haven't paid for themselves in income. I think this was a good write up, everyone needs to know what the problem is, a visual and explanation of why the part needs replacing before just telling any mechanic to do something on their recommendation. Asking questions about how the diagnosis was made is also good advice. I've seen SO CALLED MECHANICS that just started throwing parts at a problem often resulting in multiple trips to a garage for the same issue. I also have a trusted friend I've known for over 35 years that is a mechanic that does my work for me when needed. He works for a reasonable wage, does good work and doesn't try to sell you unneeded parts. He makes a good living and stays booked up and often a few days behind.

Last edited by Ford Man; 05-17-2012 at 02:38 AM..