View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
99metro
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G. View Post
That's an interesting read, but most of it (for me) just isn't true.

I choose to live outside the suburban sprawl, mainly for lifestyle, partly for cheaper housing.
I accept that that means I have to travel longer distances for work.

I choose jobs, partly, by their proximity to the motorway, partly for the start time to be outside normal rush hours.
I drive 52km each way, about 45 minutes, for a 6:00 start or 14:00 start depending which shift I'm on that week.
I leave at 5:00 or 13:00 so I'm not rushed and can cruise under the speed limit, with minimum stress.

I'm not obese. I'm not divorced (29th anniversary this month).
I'm not paying stupid amounts for car repayments, my car cost about 3 weeks pay, and returns 6.2 l/100km average. Would I like that to be lower still?... You Bet!... but that's why I'm here.

I'm not saying that article isn't true for some people, but not me.
I guess I'm with D.O.G here. I live very rural now - needed the 80 acres for the horses. Would have liked to live closer to work but there just isn't any REAL horse property in town (1/4 acre IS NOT horse property). Commute is longer, but relatively quiet paved rural roads. Reduced my daily dirt road part of the commute from 22 miles, down to 5 miles - easier on the tires.

The 3/5 Metro saves gas as a commuter car - but I take this as a "hobby" rather than a necessity for saving money. I leave at 4:30 to get to work at 6. Leave work mostly at 14:30, get home at 16:00. It's just a relaxing drive, I can think thoughts and figure $hit out, make plans, drive 10 under the speed limit (55 in a 65 isn't too drastic, but I sometimes go 45-50 with no one following).