View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The drag of the cooling system contributes up to about 10% of the overall drag of the vehicle. This is one of the advantages of an electric drivetrain, by the way.

I'm cooling my ~105HP Scion xA with a ~15" x 4" opening. And that is with minimal changes to the overall system. With an efficient exhaust vent, this could be reduced a lot more. Vekke has a car cooled with just a 4" diameter intake.

You should look at the Hucho section on cooling system drag. And several folks here on EM have added exhaust vents in the center of the hood that greatly improves cooling by increasing flow through by lowering drag inside the system.
So I assume you have no ducting from the grill to the radiator, correct?

Running into issues with this, on my car the section under the bumper has a factory airdam, that significantly contributes to the cooling system. In order to run a full undertray, that has to be removed, but removing it significantly increases cooling system temps at speed.

In the summer, I can block 90% of the front grill area, as long as that factory airdam behind and under the bumper is still on. But with half of the factory grill blocked, and the airdam removed, the car overheats during the hottest summer months. I'll get pics in an hour or so to illustrate the area.