View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

My grill block experience with '96 Geo Metro 3cyl 5spd: For what it's worth, I made a roadside, ad hoc grill blocker over a year ago on my '96 Metro. I used cardboard to fashion my behind the grill ducting, made such that the little air that gets through, MUST go threw the tiny radiator. I completely covered the factory openings in the bumper, thick plastic from a 5qt Castrol oil jug, held on with Gorrilla tape. The only air the radiator gets is from the slit that exists between the bumper cover and the lower lip of the hood, about 10" wide x 1-1/2" tall.

I monitor coolant temp and incoming air temp via my scan gauge. I've never had the coolant temp go up, but IAT is slightly higher, maybe 15degF. The only noticeable difference on this vehicle, blocked versus unblocked, is the electric fan comes on more often in summer, at lower speeds, idling, and in stop and go traffic. The fan never triggers to come on while driving over 35mph, and it always keeps up with the additional heat, even with restricted air flow. I did not do back to back testing, but I think the ducting is helping mange what little air does get in.