View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
BenjaminT
EcoModding Lurker

S197 - '07 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.42 mpg (US)
Concerning the rotors: The wheel would only serve as the rotor "hat." If you've never seen two-piece racing disks, the center "hat" is aluminum to save weight. Using studs pressed into the rotor, you could fasten it from the outside of the wheel and have features in the backing plate to hang it while changing the wheel.

Removing the wheel: I was planning on using 4130 tubing to make a hollow spindle anyways (floating hubs facilitate bolting on electric motors for future drivetrain development.) I could just make it so that it threads into the uprights and leave the bearings alone. If I use a wide enough diameter, it will fit over the shaft of a tire balancer (40mm?) and I could make the centering cones if necessary. The act of changing the actual tire is unaffected.

Disclaimer: I'm only saying it could be done. The vehicle in question will be built from scratch with an emphasis on pushing my design ability. It is definitely less convenient than conventional designs. It probably isn't worth doing but this vehicle is going to serve as my resume some day.