View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
orangustang
Saturn Freak

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Looks good, and congrats on the improvement! Are those aluminum sheet? Did you have to fabricate a brace of any sort under the wheel skirt?

I crave more information. Is that the turbo version or N/A? If no turbo, your EPA rating is 27 MPG highway/ 19 city (old standard), so just fixing what's broken and having a light foot should (from my experience) get you to your goal on the open road. If your commute is more stop-and-go, though, you're doing really well with an old auto trans. What have you had to do in the way of repairs to get it to run right?

A side story: Those things will run forever. I had a friend in high school who drove a 740, and he had diagnosed a bent valve. I located the tick and disabled the fuel injector on that cylinder, and the car ran the same as it had, but without wasting that fuel. He said it noticeably improved his gas mileage, though I don't think he ever measured it. I had another friend with a 1970 Mercedes 300D, and they raced one time. Even though it was on the street, I don't think they could have been pulled for anything beyond a noise violation. Neither car got up to the speed limit or was able to spin tires.