View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
The Corridor Effect

From the '100+ Hypermiling Tips';

14) The 'corridor effect'
All else being equal, traveling at a constant speed on a freeway within a flow of traffic (in the same direction) is more efficient than going the same speed in isolation. The reason is aerodynamic: a flow of traffic generates a localized wind current in the direction of travel. You will benefit from this artificial breeze.

This morning I was sixth in line behind a large truck. The other five cars were spaced somewhat evenly about 10 to 15 yards apart, which I mentally noted as being out of the ordinary. Usually they instinctively bunch up on each other. (I also just realized that I was using my Marlin Perkins voice while making that mental note...)
I have enjoyed the benefits of drafting and the corridor effect before, but this morning's circumstances were quite pronounced. I was able to cruise along about 20 to 25 yards behind the procession and noted much less throttle needed, and corrospondingly the Insight's instantaneous MPG reading was significantly higher than usual along that stretch of my commute.
Has anyone else enjoyed the corridor effect?