View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Taller tires or lower RR?

Since my tires may need to be replaced within the next 1-2 years I'm starting to look around for the next set, just to know what is available. My car came with 195/65R15's (205/65R15's were an option) and this is what I use for most of the year. Winter tires are 185/65R15 and won't be replaced any time soon.
I haven't found low RR models any taller than what I have, and the only widely available tire with a higher profile is 185-195/80R15, but these are mostly for delivery vans. There is no mention as to what their RR is.

Switching to 185/80R15 should lower engine rpm by ~6%, and maybe slightly better comfort on bumpy roads, but will raise the car by ~20mm. I would benefit from the larger wheel only when cruising, not when coasting in neutral (which I do more often).

If van tires turn out to have worse RR than normal tires, then is the switch to taller a bad idea? And how much worse can their RR be to still allow me to switch to 80's?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread