View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zharkov
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I would encourage you to actually run the numbers for yourself. Simply saying that something is illogical doesn't make it not true. Perhaps his numbers aren't quite accurate for you, so change them and see what it is actually going to cost you.
The study is completely off for someone in my position. I would never be able to get a housing loan at 5%. And then there's financing another $477k. My credit is terrible. I'm working on it, but it's probably going to be another 5 years before it's decent again. Combine with that other factors I mentioned and I simply don't fit into this study.

The health detriments can be offset with a little discipline on the the part of the commuter, as can the mental affects. Long commutes may wear someone down, but using that as an excuse of anger, irritation, etc. is a sign of the weak-willed, imo.

As I said, I used to travel 72 miles one way. I did that for 3.5 years. I know the longer commutes are more nerve wracking, but to give my wife a little of what she wants and still work in the IT field, it's simply unavoidable that I'll be living far from work. Besides, the mere fact I won't be living in a congested town/city will offset some of that stress.