View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #57 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey442 View Post
Hydrogen enhanced combustion has been well documented to improve fuel economy and emissions.
Any flameable super heated (at room tempature) gas like propane, natural gas or butane does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_frontal_area View Post
-oil pan:
"I have had very good results with water injection on my diesel.
No need to waste time with HHO.
I am getting at least solid 4% improvement when towing on a very cheaply built rig..."

is this straight up water? or do you add fuel to it? if only water are you suggesting a 4% improvement due to the high EGT readings and resulting increased diesel fuel use you would have without its use?
i have found on diesels aside from the EGT control and tamed flame front (besides some benefit from thermo expansion) it is mainly the cooling that is of benefit but not exactly with significant MPG gains. what is YOUR secret?
it is gassers where water injection has tremendous potential. by manipulating fuel volume and or timing interesting things (MPG) can happen since a spark ignition engine under load is naturally on the verge of pre-ignition. like previously stated i would looooove to play with a CRX HF!

if you would like to see positive effects on MPG and power try propane supplementation!
I use tap water.
No fuel added to the water.
Unlike HHO I have no secret. Every detail of what I run is on the wiki, its not too difficult to figure out.
I wouldn't call 4% a significant improvement.

Water injection has little potential to boost FE on gassers.
You are better off with aero mods.

I already tried propane back in 2006 for boosting FE. It was expensive and in the end figured it was more trouble than it was worth.
But I plan on revisiting propane for short boost power.