View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #62 (permalink)
briank
EcoModding Lurker

As the OP contributor, what prompted me to analyze the mpg differences, is that I'm looking to change over to a hybrid from my current automatic 2008 Scion xB where I really average 30 mpg overall using coasting to stops, maximizing time in torque lock up. So I was doing a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) analysis where I was examining used pre-2010 Prius vs new Prius C. From the analysis it looks like a lot of the lower cost of ownership comes from the slower depreciation per year of a used Prius, as much as it comes from the lower fuel costs itself. The Prius C while having slightly better city fuel consumption, this factor is so small in the overall costs, that other costs far outweigh it (first year depreciation of new car, much higher IL % sales tax on new cars). So my plan is to switch to a 2007-2009 range Prius and possibly achieve 60 mpg where I better implement hyper-miling techniques. Hence how the 30 to 60 mpg came about.

The slower depreciation of a 3 or 4 year old Prius along with high mpg means I think I will hit the sweet spot with TCO as I won't have finance interest, avoid collision insurance costs, do DIY repairs, brakes myself. I may lose somewhat if gas goes below $3/gal, but is that really losing, yeah the Prius might depreciate faster but gas then costs less and the economy as a whole benefits. Sorry for going off topic a bit.