Thread: evap
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #57 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

It's up to me how I spell my name. The scientific method and peer review are alive and well at ecomodder.com even if civility is some times in short supply. Every bit of data is useful for attempting to repeat a result. I have had leaks in my fuel evaporation system tubing that caused a "Check Eng" light to come on. I did not track mpg at that time but the vehicle did not seem to run differently. The vehicle is a 2002 Dodge Gran Caravan 3.3L with EFI and AT. Depending on the routing, a missing vacuum line may cause a lean condition. The fuel in the evaporation capture system could be lost to the atmosphere. Best to look at the vacuum line diagram under the hood or in the repair manual. The overall goal is to use the heat value in the fuel to maximum efficiency.
Take time to review basic principles of chemistry, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. This will help put testing on a solid basis and minimize urban myths. It least we will have a way to understand how a modification might work.