View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
tortillasoup
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gd16 View Post
Thanks i wish i could average that but the max i could get was 28 so it will need a little work done so i can get to my desired mpg, the only code i get from my check engine light is from the o2 disconnected. Is yours also a wagon? Did you remove your egr?
So why don't you just re-hookup your o2 sensor then? Other thing you should do is reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for like 15 minutes so the computer can re-learn some of its functions. Also, you shouldn't have to remove the catalytic converter from the car for it to get good fuel economy. If your car has two o2 sensors, and the cat is removed, that too can affect fuel economy since the car uses the second o2 sensor for fine-tuning the fuel trims. When you're checking the grounds, be sure to measure from the point of interest to the battery negative terminal. To eliminate the most obvious point, be sure to clean up the battery ground strap, its nuts, bolts, washers, eyelits, etc, don't scrape any paint off but make sure the holes it bolts into are free of dirt or rust. From there you can get a better idea with the multimeter of how good or bad your ground resistance is. 1 ohm of resistance is 1 ohm too many!

I should mention that you should get your car back to stock as best as you can. After re-reading some of your posts, I realize that you have too many things on the car that aren't stock like the wrong distributor and whatnot. You should never have to advance the distributor too far in any one direction otherwise it potentially prevents the computer from doing its job of adjusting ignition timing properly. If you could get everything in your car working 100% like stock, 32mpg should be within range. Have you tried replacing your PCV valve? That's an easy fix on this car and its replacement can boost fuel economy by about 15% if it's clogged. Or how about clean the throttle body/idle control valve? Is your car idling at stock RPM with stock ignition timing degrees? I bet it isn't! All the check engine codes have to be gone if you expect to have your car perform optimally.

Last edited by tortillasoup; 05-25-2012 at 09:12 PM..