View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Xringer,

I've got an eye on the Prius C. I'm impressed by its low price, light weight (2500lbs), small engine, and versatile hybrid system. The aerodynamics aren't as bad as most new cars, either. If I had one, I could probably press it into service towing 1000lbs, which means I wouldn't have to rent a truck when I want to move large things.

I'd like to know how much of my commute I could do on electricity with a Prius C. If you start with a full charge, how far can you get around town without engaging the gas engine? Rigging up a grid charger should be fairly easy, and developing an engine inhibitor should be possible.

I'm also interested in the fuel economy at extralegal speeds on the interstate. What kind of numbers does the Prius C generate at 75 mph?

RobertSmalls

I just went to the local hybrid group meet the other day. Wayne Mitchel (prius techie) did a presentation on the V and C. The C's range according to him is not even 1/2 mile (which makes sense because its pack is smaller than a liftback). The Prius' BMS won't allow you to drain the batteries under 45% and not above 80% (at least in a 2nd gen), so its not like you can really gain a whole lot by grid charging.

Highway is not where the C shines (not that its bad, just nowhere near your Insight). Wayne said that you're only getting about 60 mpg at 55 mph and it starts tanking once you get up to 65 mph. At 75 I wouldn't be surprised if you were down in the 40s. Its just not aerodynamic enough, and its geared higher than a liftback. In town you'll see much higher numbers as you can P&G very easily. Wayne achieved around 100 mpg in a small loop he does around the meeting site. He did the same loop in his 2010 liftback and got 85 mpg.