View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Towing with a GM 6.2L non-turbo diesel?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had any experience towing a trailer using a non-turbo 6.2 diesel? A lady I used to work with called and asked if I wanted to buy her brother's "old truck". Turns out it is a 1982 3/4 ton Chev, 2 wheel drive, regular cab long box diesel. He bought it brand new, had GM install a rebuilt automatic transmission about 5 years ago (the bill for that must have been frightening), but other than that its untouched. 379k KMs (235k miles). I would be looking to use it to tow a car trailer. Figure around 5500 pounds weight with trailer and car. I know the truck would be legal for the weight, but I also know the 6.2s were designed for good mileage not power. The only 6.2 I have ever driven was a 4x4 Suburban with 4:10s, and I never towed anything with that. Would this thing be able to hack it if I wanted to tow something through the mountains? Or should I just stick with my old 5.7 Vortec Tahoe?