View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
97LegoBackWagn
EcoModding Lurker

LegoWagn - '97 Subaru Legacy Outback
Hello everyone :)

New to the forum, not the first time I've stumbled across it though

Just picked up a 97 Legacy Outback wagon a few weeks back that I'd like to mod for mpg. Has 312700 miles and counting, and still runs like a champ. Can't complain with a well running, driving Subaru for $1000. Was a very well maintained car (re: dealer serviced for all but the last 2 years), and is all highway miles. Its a 2.5l H4 with a 4 speed auto AWD tranny. Wasn't exactly my first choice of vehicles (sold my SVX for this ), but at least its another Subie. I'd have rather had the 2.2l, but beggars can't be choosers, eh?

Currently seeing about 23 mpg combined and an estimated 28-30 highway, however highway miles aren't quite pinned down yet as I haven't had the chance to run an all highway trip. Needs a few small repairs and a bit of maintenance done (new wheel bearing, new control arm bushings). But for the price I couldn't complain Already started the basic maintenance (oil, plugs, etc). Soon to be onto the ecomodding :thumbsup:

Now, the goal is to see 28 combined and 35 highway mpg at least. To accomplish this, I have a feeling I'll be needing your help

Reasons for wanting to improve the MPG? Outside of the obvious reason (fluctuating prices and me being a college student with a disability that can't really afford gas in the first place), I plan to use the vehicle for weekend camping/festivals. I also want it to be an efficient and fuel saving bug out vehicle in case SHTF. Hence the reason I went with an AWD vehicle (considering they really aren't the most fuel efficient options, however Subaru's seem to be the best AWD when it comes to mpg).

I plan to post a over the next few days with more details in regards to what I have done/plan to do, and would like to, and could definitely use some insight/input from everyone

Thanks in advance!

-b