View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
ericf2009
EcoModding Lurker

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Hi Eric -

Bummer about your HF.

If you're in the market for a gen. 1 Insight, you'll want to have a look through this list:

... omitted link (I'm new, can't have links yet)...
Metro,

Thank you for the welcome and the sympathy! Actually it has been good to learn how to live w/o a car in the Bay Area. I've gotten much closer to my bicycle. And membership in City Car Share has cost less than owning a car, even the CRX. But with a change in address my wife and I will need a car. And it seems there could be no more fitting successor to our HF than an 1st gen Insight.

And thanks for the link. I figure I will look up those items and learn them after buying one, though. I'm mostly concerned about the major things: the IMA and CVT. Are there any ways to test or detect they are about to go before buying the car? My favorite mechanic from my CRX days said to have those checked but I couldn't have him do it; he's in San Francisco and the Insight I'm looking at is in San Diego. The Honda dealership service dept there said there was nothing they could do to check those but confirm there were no warning lights about them. I don't need to pay a mechanic to check the warning lights! By the way, they praised the car to heaven saying it was absolutely clean except they worried about its engine shake in idle.

From scanning these forums for clues about that I've gotten very fond of this community. It seems owning one of these can give hours of rewarding challenges to engineer/hacker types. I wonder if *any* other car has such a following!

Also, by the way, I think I've found Donovan; working up the nerve to ask his advice.