View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsway View Post
In general terms, and with obvious exceptions, living standards are rising across the world.
Agree ... even the poorest person today is better off than the poorest person from 100 or 1,000 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsway View Post
(and the pace is still accelerating.) why should we not be optimistic about the future?
While I agree there is progress being made and some reason to be optimistic about some things ... I disagree about the pace is still accelerating.

I see it showing signs of slowing ... I bought a PC with the first Pentium I chip in it back in 1995 ... 5 years later by 2000 I bought a Pentium IV ... more ~20x faster than what I could buy just ~5 years before ... today 12 years later they have not yet increased the speed to 20x what is was ~12 years ago back in 2000... there has been improvement ... but from what I see the pace of improvement is slowing not accelerating anymore.

Not just in electronics , but the ICE efficiency improvements are continuing ... but the pace of those improvements is slowing ... harder and harder to squeeze out another 10% efficiency ... etc.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman455 View Post
with a world population forecast to reach 9 billion by the middle of the century and 14 billion by 2100 at the current growth rate
Current Trends show the global population of the entire earth is slowing ... yes there are more people , and we are still producing more ... the growth rate is still positive ... but the current rate of growth itself is in decline ... ie reducing / slowing ... and has been for a while now ( sense the late 70's ) ... So I don't see evidence supporting the growth rate will suddenly stop it's current decreasing trend in favor of leveling off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AverageLifeExpectancy.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	10880   Click image for larger version

Name:	GlobalHumanPopulation.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	10881