View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #41 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Xringer,

I'd like to know how much of my commute I could do on electricity with a Prius C. If you start with a full charge, how far can you get around town without engaging the gas engine? Rigging up a grid charger should be fairly easy, and developing an engine inhibitor should be possible.

RobertSmalls
The main purpose of the engine inhibitor would be to get the car to move while cold, otherwise I see it moot since you just shift to N and the motor instantly kills.

What I have always wondered is if you try to fully charge the battery does the motor start spinning even with everything else off or does it do so once you start to go?

If after you start to move I think that would be fine, just floor it motor and EV would quickly heat and burn off the charge above 80% and your warmup might be less painfull.

Also driving like a snail with no brakes through town (a rarely traveled set of side streets) I was able to go over a mile on EV (remember I didn't select it, the car did for me) but I was averaging probably 12-15mph in that stretch.