View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
Rough Plan:

1) Convert Truck to Diesel

2) Make sure everything runs right as diesel

3) experiment with bio/diesel and veggie oil

4) Add motor and battery system

<Snip>

I'd also like the charger to run from 110 or 220V and be able to make use of J1772 chargers.!
Solid state chargers like my Elcon charger have an input voltage range of something like 85v up to 260v, it doesn't have any switch or user input, you just connect the voltage you have that is within that range and it works! now there are open source chargers that more or less work the same way but the kit I saw was $400 and was not well designed or user friendly to build, the charger I bought that is plug and play was around $600, so totally worth the small extra cost.

I would put the experimentation with veggie oil lower on your list, sure it's a new area for you to get in to, but you can buy or make bio-diesel that will run in a stock engine and any modifications you need to make to make it run off straight veggie oil are already out there and well thought out, so my train of thought would say to stay focused on adding the motor in there then build the 2nd fuel tank and veggie oil system around that instead of it getting in your way.

Other then that, I think this sounds like a great project! and once I get my electric motorcycle done and a few of my own small projects around the house completed I'd be all for driving the 4-5 hours that it would take to help you out for a weekend or something if there was a point in time that it would make sense to do that.