View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #44 (permalink)
bbennett2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Highway is not where the C shines (not that its bad, just nowhere near your Insight). Wayne said that you're only getting about 60 mpg at 55 mph and it starts tanking once you get up to 65 mph. At 75 I wouldn't be surprised if you were down in the 40s. Its just not aerodynamic enough, and its geared higher than a liftback.
Well I woke up late from my girlfriend's house today, but the good news was I was able to do a real world test of how the prius c does at speed. you can sort of see from the blurry picture that I drove 40 miles at an average speed of 70 mph and was able to get 50.2 mpg. This was on a stretch of 95 between delaware and baltimore....rolling hills the whole time. 50.2 isn't amazing I guess, but I wasn't doing anything to save fuel. I was stepping on the gas to get to work on time. the other thing to note is that I was slowly gaining mpg the whole time. At 30 miles into the trip I was at around 46 mpg. I was driving between 65-80 mph and was continuing to gain mpg the whole time. Not sure where it would have peaked at but I hit a traffic jam before I could find out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpg4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	10895