View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
minispeed
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Excellent that you got the manual!

Engine kill switch in your future? With electric power steering, and the usual vacuum brake reserve, there's practically no downside, and a significant amount of upside.
I've been getting pretty good at using the key for EOC, I tried some on my drive home last night, I just couldn't resist. Because of warantee I may just keep doing this. I will explore if I can build an adapter to add a kill switch but I don't want to cut into the wires at this point yet. As for that EOC test from a cold warm up, driving all city (but mostly slight downhills with some small uphills) I got 5.0l/100. Then tried hwy pulse and glide 90-120 and was at 6.0 when I got home (46km total).

A lot of the Optima/Sonata forums have been talking about the car being really heavy on fuel for the break in period and some even up to 3000miles. Some people are getting as low as 13mpg, and the avg person complaining tends to get 18-20mpg. It's nice to know that when I try to drive it hard, 2-4000rpm to break it in I'm still getting over the EPA which they claim to not even get close to even when they try their hardest.

It's also odd to hear the advice given by some of the people "accelerate hard, it's easier on gas", "don't use the eco button in the city, it only works on the highway", and then some rolling on 20s and wondering why they can't get close to city epa numbers. There was one other member who link'd them to ecomodder, I think it was in reference to doing an upper grill block.