View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
hotrodf1
EcoModding Lurker

Brutus - '01 Dodge Cummins 3500 Dually extended cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You're rig will basically respond to the tail as any other vehicle,save for the exception of losses between the tow vehicle and trailer face.
In a perfect world,where there was no gap in your rig,all your wheels were flush and had covers,and everything was bellypanned,you'd essentially have a 'bus' or 'motorhome.'
At the following lengths of tail,you'd have the potential for:
50% = Cd 0.177
60% = Cd 0.153
70% = Cd 0.14
80% = Cd 0.133
90% = Cd 0.13
100% = Cd 0.13
So you can see that the last 20% is statistically insignificant.This region is 'phantom' tail,where the turbulence itself is behaving as a solid structure,with the outer flow ricochetting off of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The whole thing about the tail is that it is converting dynamic pressure back into static pressure.With 80% of it,you end up with the forward stagnation pressure very close to that of the rear base pressure,with only the unavoidable skin-friction losses in between.Which according to Hucho and others,THE fundamental premise of all road vehicle streamlining.
PS,if you'll go to the 'full-boat-tail-trailer' thread,at permalink 245 or so,there are some pictorial drag tables for different boat-tailed vehicles.Look around,you'll find 'em.
Sorry, just to confirm here.
The % all relate to "full" length tail, which is the 1.78X relationship right? And the X is the height of the trailer in this case? If trailer is 85" high or so, than a full tail is 151.3", a fairly "healthy" length. So the 50% is then 75.5 or so long. Skinning a tail that long will be more difficult with the material I have, but I will work around it.

And speaking of other aero treatments, I was thinking of side skirts that go forward to a point behind the hitch, and also perhaps some fender
skirts on the trailer as well. Hoping to avoid a pan on the trailer that way. In the grand scheme of things are the skirts worth doing on a trailer?