View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
A.D.D.
EcoModding Lurker

vw - '04 Volkswagen Passat GLX
I did.

What it came down to..........

I have x number of dollars. I refuse to finance x number of dollars....... and in the long run maintenance should be pretty low. I might regret saying this....but I seriously doubt this Cube will EVER see 100k miles under my ownership. Some vehicles we keep for a decade, others we change like the seasons................

The vehicle fits all of our stuff without a roof rack (huge priority) and it's "fun" for the kids and wife. THEY are happy.

Hybrids are AWESOME. Period. However, so are DIESEL CARS.

Both are cost prohibitive this time around. 50 mpg would be GREAT! But right now... 40 would be GREAT....35 would be acceptable (average) and I could LIVE with 30.

For the price... if it doesn't work out.. I should be able to sell it for what I paid or not get beat up too badly. (values are really high up here).

The $14k for the cube was pushing it.... MAX amount of money to spend. My original budget was around $10k and pay ALL CASH. BUT, $10k doesn't get you much up here in the "Great Northwest"........ The Credit Union has great rates and we decided to "Bump" ourselves....so 2010 car under warranty that fits all of our stuff and I am optimistic about the 30+ mileage.......

So, I will employ MANY of the techniques spelled out on this forum to acheive that goal. Depending on when and what we buy next (some sort of truck capable of towing a horse trailer)... we may swap the cube for some sort of hybrid. (when inside space isn't at such a premium).

I guess I should have also mentioned my other vehicle is a later model Chevy extended cab pick-up. We need to upgrade that as well sooner than later...but the back half will need to be closed on the next one (suburban, tahoe, denali, expedition)...for a bumper pull 2 horse slant.

NOW........

I have been thinking about some sort of a little hot rod project..... with a little 4 banger (maybe even motorcycle engine) in the back (mid engined?)...and some sort of kinetic regenerative braking/ electric motor front drive...and subaru type viscous coupling differential for AWD swap front to back... run the gas engine under load and to charge the cells...cut out on flat and downhill.... electric motor torque off the line and on steep inclines........?????
Depending on gearing...........

Hmmmmmm.....

I bet I could get the entire thing down to 1200 pounds...kinda like a Morgan cycle-car.

These things were REALLY popular in the 20's and 30's........

Main

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morgan_super_sports_1934-25345.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	10899