View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
devilwacause
Planner

Plans - months off (and job dependant) but plans

Hi everyone, I'm new here - but been a lurker for several months. First I'd like to give a lil bit on me - and then we can move on to my plans.

As most everybody in the ecomodding way is - I've started learning to reteach myself driving lol. Living in the country thats a bit easier than the city I assure you, while I may only have two or three routes to get somewhere the traffic is light (to the point of nonexistance) so I've learned to take my time more often and watch the tachometer to keep engine at the lowest possible revs without lugging an engine.

I used to drive a 98 S10 LS Ext. Cab - but blew the head gasket and warped the poor aluminum head in the same moment. This will in time be the experiment vehicle. For the time my wife and I share her Ford Fusion (automatic, wife cant drive a stick) and its night and day between me and her driving. I average 33-35mpg in it stock where she averages around 28 with her driving habits (I'm working on that guys).

Hopefully I will get into a field I'm applying to soon and will have the ability to start my plans - but here we go with the plans.

98 S10 Ext Cab (For the time being we shall refer to it as Frankenstein).

I had a 2.2L 4cyl in it mated to a auto tranny, hated that motor it was underpowered for what I needed but since I will be getting a newer truck for work horsing figured I needed to use this one for the commuter fix.

I'm setting a goal high people - I want 55+ MPG out of that truck. I know it will be a work of patience, and love (not to mention money so pray on my acceptance into what I've applied for).

Step one - I'm tearing that truck down to NOTHING lol. If its in it, its gone.
Of the deletes, I'm removing everything in the cab (dash, rear jump seats, all trim, a/c workings, but will leave a radio - I love music too much and I'll accept those few pounds lol). People we are talking about me essentially building a truck from scratch.

The bed will also be removed and I plan to fabricate a bed myself for the truck with a aero topper.

Engine/Tranny wise - I've seen results of people who have swapped small diesels (50-70HP) into S10s with results of 45MPG nothing else done but engine and tranny to a 5spd, this is raising my hopes as I plan to make a much lighter and more aerodynamic bed as well as deleting all the extra weight I can. I know it'll be as slow as can be (I'd be more likely to get 0-60 on a bicycle in 10 seconds than the truck in the end lol) but I'm looking for FE not worrying about speed.

Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself and give my ideas, I know it is going to be a long job and will depend on my job situation, but I'm hopeful, I think we all have to be. Any ideas and or comments are welcome, I plan to post a "idea pic" of the truck shortly for people to see.