View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #113 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Arduino and Labview

Loading labview should not be TOO taxing ... you`d think

I still can`t locate the serial number that was paid for (it was a gift) from Sparkfun - NI says it is shipped with every system but the doc does not even tell you how many digits the `serial number`should have so that you can recognize it when you see it. I know that there was no `certificate`with the serial number on it. ... sigh ...

I can see why National Instruments is not happy that people are using their software and not paying for it. But making it this hard for people to try out Labview when they actually HAVE paid for it is not the way to accomplish this, in my opinion.

Since this computer was restored from a ghost image (2010 vintage) I can re-install the Labview 2010 demo for 30 days while I figure it out.

The Labview software wants to install a package manager. My firewall is complaining about the package manager setting itelf up as a server, accepting incoming connections ... kinda looks like a virus.

I stopped the package manager installation and removed it. I`ll try to install the parts myself.

I turned off the wireless network card and am using a separate computer to download Labview parts so that I have some idea what is actually needed versus what was installed just because.

After 2 hours, the decision to not install the package manager appears to be a bad decision. The descriptions of the packages are not very precise and I managed to install Labview 2010 sp1 with the LIFA for 2011.

Should I install package manager and let it decide what is needed, and how many holes it wants to poke in my firewall?

So I started going through some reading at NI.com. It seems to me that Labview is not a way for you to see what is going on in your Arduino ... it`s more like you turn the Arduino into a dumb slave processor that reads digital inputs and analog inputs, passes those values to Labview, takes commands from Labview and turns on PWM or normal digital outputs. Perhaps that is only what the `base` labview sketch does.

I was looking for a way to see the data coming from the PLC via serial. I`m not interested in having a PC do anything approaching control. That`s OK if you are in a lab, I guess.

I`ll do some more reading. I`m not impressed with the Labview interface from what I`ve read and seen so far.

If I install it, likley on an old laptop of some sort, I will need good backups beforehand in case it does not uninstall nicely.

Expecting the worst from large companies and their software is NOT paranoia. IMHO it is prudent and necessary.