View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
ECONORAM
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Further lessons in wheel covers

An update on my continuing wheel cover saga. I have tried using 2" clear packing tape, 4mm corroplast, and LEXAN in 0.100" and 0.015" thicknesses for covers. I've tried to secure them to the wheels with doubled up tape, double-sided tape, adhesive backed velcro, 550 cord, white string, zip ties, ==>and soon double-sided velcro straps. Clear tape worked fine aerodynamically, but it did not do well in 30*F temps. I then tried black 4mm corroplast first with double-sided tape and then tied on with 550 (parachute) cord. Tape doesn't work--Period. Front covers would depart the vehicle upon reaching 65mph. 550 cord worked well, but the corroplast didn't look that great. Not even when I painted them silver. I flipped the painted side against the wheels and left the unpainted black outside. That looked a little better. It was also a little tough to run the cords through the holes, and I had to use pliers to pull the knots tight.
Special NOTE: It is only NOW I start using 2 inch (or so) pieces of foam weather-stripping stuck to the wheel covers so the foam rubs against the wheels and doesn't scar up the paint anymore. I place it between the holes where I run the 550 cord thru the covers. The wheel spokes aren't so pretty after getting rubbed on by painted corroplast for 4K miles.
Next up was LEXAN. I wanted 0.125", but the shop only had 0.100" Turns out #1 even 0.100" LEXAN is heavy and #2 when I cut them into 20.5" disks for my 20" wheels, that left a little too much room for flopping up and down as the truck rolled down the street. So much I'll have to touch up the clear paint on the rims damaged by the covers. To compound matters the cover flopping was actually causing a wheel balance problem on the highway. It did not matter that I used pliers to tighten the 550 cord; the covers were so heavy they'd work the knots loose. One trip from OKC to Wichita Falls, at 70 mph the truck was averaging 20mpg...but I had to take the covers off because of the vibration. To still maintain 20mpg, I could only drive 65mph. That was proof positive to me the wheel covers were beneficial.
Next I ordered some 0.015" LEXAN. Figured I'd drop some of the cover weight and still keep the see-through look. I first tried double-sided tape but it still didn't work. I should have used 550 cord and pliers again, but I elected to use white nylon string. Mistake. The aero forces on the covers are enough to work the knots loose, causing the covers to flop around and eventually catch air...and depart the vehicle. I ended up loosing the front two covers somewhere between here and Fort Worth because they tore right through the strings. Good news on that trip: before the front covers departed the truck I was getting over 21mpg on the tank--no wind that day (rare here in north Texas) and I was traveling 65-67 mph.
So now I am using 14" nylon zip-ties to secure the 0.100" LEXAN covers. I was afraid to use zip-ties initially because I did not want them rubbing through the paint on the wheels. But with the previous experiments I've done and how torn up my wheel paint is I think that's a moot point now. The good thing about the zip-ties is I can get them tight, and they hold the 0.100" LEXAN covers but good!! Using the foam weatherstripping here helps, as you can see it compress as you pull the zip-tie tight.
Next on the list is to cut another set of 0.015" LEXAN covers but at 20.75" diameter. 0.015" LEXAN is thin enough to cut with scissors--the 0.100" I had to cut with a Rotozip. The inner diameter of my wheels where the wheel weights get clamped on is 21", but I cut the last ones to 21" and had some trouble getting them to stay flush against the wheel. Now I'm really glad I ordered enough 0.015" LEXAN for two sets! I recently ordered some 3/4" double-sided velcro to secure the covers to the wheels. Fuzzy side in to protect the wheel paint on the spokes, sticky side out, overlapped on the outside of the wheel cover to secure.
The intent is to find a secure method to keep the covers on without marring up the paint or requiring modifying the wheels in any manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to ECONORAM For This Useful Post:
JRMichler (06-03-2012)