View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
My commute is 54 miles one way. roughly 80 minutes at the speed I drive (45-50mph max)

I "use" this time to listen to music, podcasts, audio books. its "me" time to relax.

we own our home. Moving is simply not an option.

even if the move was free the increase in cost of living moving from PA to NJ would quickly skyrocket to way more than I spend in fuel each year even if I moved close enough to WALK to work. Just the increase in property taxes and car insurance alone would be astronomical.

but I can't move for free. it would require selling our home for less than its worth moving and they BUYING a home at an inflated price and then having to pay interest all over again.

I could buy a car that gets 15mpg for my 40,000 miles a year and still spend less money than the "cost" of a move.

it amazes me when I see people say "just move" I simply have to assume they either live with someone else who pays the bills or they rent making moving a lot simpler and cheaper.

for those of us who own our homes moving is almost NEVER a financially viable option no matter how expensive the commute is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerys For This Useful Post:
Nevyn (06-05-2012), Tango Charlie (06-05-2012)