View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
skylos
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
what would you "DO" with the 250 20 minute chunks of time? remember you can't bank them. you can't add them up you can not save them.
You seem to be looking at that 20 minutes as if its an isolated timeslot - as if 'I'm going to do this for 20 minutes, then I absolutely must do something else' which makes it look fairly useless. Fortunately, any task or activity that takes a longer block of time can be time-shifted or extended into that 20 minutes. You can timeshift your sleep 20 minutes later on the clock, and the saved time moves your arrival home by another 20 minutes, extending the block of time that is 'not-sleep-or-work' by 40 minutes a day. For me that is about 4 hours right now. (must have me beauty rest) With an extra 40 minutes, I extend that to 4.67 hours, a 17% increase in personal time availability to do whatever I want with. 40 more continuous minutes of working on the house, or writing my novel, or whatever else I care to do.

So I can't save them, nope not even a bit. But I CAN spend them on whatever I would like instead of commuting, and I can put those on the same (or alternately, adjacent) days together. Back when I commuted 150 miles a day, I didn't really mind the driving, I just minded the loss of my personal time.