View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Powering laptop or tv with pedalpower alone might also lead to healthier life when your hours of using those devices would require quite bit of pedalling. For laptop half hour pedaling might give 1 hour computer time, with tv it might be hour for an hour at max, probably more pedalling than watching tv.

If it would be for exercise it would be just a gain to be able to recycle some of spent energy, also it would give bit perspective of how much work it is to produce electricity and also might lead to better ways of using electricity as one would value it more.

I would forget grid however, just charging battery and use battery to power equipment, that is how I think it would be most beneficial.

Lights in my house that I use consume total of ~18 Watts, as I use LED lights and even those I use sensibly, not emotionally, so I could power quite many hours of illumination by such generator thing.

I'm totally out of shape, but I can peak over 350W for very short period of time, 150W for hour is perhaps bit much for my abilities, but 100W surely.

I would perhaps choose adjustable charge controller so that one could adjust resistance by adjusting how much charging is done.

Rare earth magnets and custom generator might be nice way to get good amount of charging with little as possible resistance, like with DIY wind generators, that way also rpm for generator might be easy to adjust to suitable level, or perhaps by using some gearing, however one should keep losses in mind.

I would build one from real bicycle though, those stationary bicycles are not necessarily best for ergonomy and one might get more power output with real bicycle, also it should be possible to use those trainer stands to support the bicycle, then just use custom rear wheel that is the generator.