View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #73 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I always kept my commutes short. With the spare time I had, I rebuilt cars, which meant it cost me nothing to drive. Instead I actually made money by rebuilding cars and I am counting all of the costs of driving. I made about $2500 gross per car.

Then I took the extra time and sold my shop and built a house. Made $100 an hour on that proposition so my spare time was precious at $100 an hour. In many cases my commutes would not use up the time it takes for a string of ads to run on TV. When I first bought my shop I lived in the building, with no heat or air, no hot water. I had to commute to the health club for a shower before 9 PM when my day was over. It started at sunrise, getting the waste oil heater working for the day.

Figure 30 years, 200 days a year, 2 hours a day, for those who spend that much time getting to work. Thats 12,000 hours folks, and if it means nothing to you, I just can't follow that logic for the life of me.

In that same time at $100 an hour I have made some serious money, and it provides me with retirement security today and for the rest of my life. About 1200 of those hours built the house we are living in today. It asseses at $320k today and it cost me my sweat equity in this house and the materials cost me the sweat equity in the last one I built. That doesn't include the 200 or so cars I rebuilt, many of those done while I was working full time, with time I could have otherwise wasted riding to work.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 06-05-2012 at 07:45 AM..