View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #214 (permalink)
dipstick
EcoModding Lurker

OK, I gave up reading all of these posts, because most everyone is doing the same thing and making the same mistakes and errors in logic. Spoken like a true know it all huh.

I rebuild alternators, DC motors, starters, etc. I am an AC motor repair shop and wholesale distributor as well. If it is electrical I fix it. So... I think I know it all, lol.

Actually, my intent for posting here was to give everyone a solid atta-boy for effort, and to suggest the one thing that I did not see anyone posting... but then I did not read beyond a few pages, so if I missed it, then I'm just a jerk for being a jerk and thinking I know it all.

I also wanted to express the info you guys need to know to prevent problems.

OK, item number one... stop disabling your stock alternators and then re-enabling them to charge depleted batteries... modern alternators are not engineered for the high temperatures resulting from extended high output charging periods. If you are not careful you will burn them up faster, and negate fuel savings with repair costs.

Also regular auto batteries cannot handle the deep discharge and recharge cycles you are putting them through... you ARE destroying them which again costs you the money you were hoping to save by doing all this stuff in the first place.

Also, the recharge required to replace the lost electricity requires just as much energy as it would otherwise so you are saving at most 2-3% maybe, due to the regular friction losses of the bearings and belt on pulley from regular driving.

I know, I know, I am too negative, and you all have evidence to prove me wrong... so what do I know.

Here's what I would recommend if you want to remove your alternator loads successfully. First, change battery types to golf cart batteries, and use a minimum of 4. They are roughly 60# each plus additional cabling and you gain an additional 190# or the weight of a second person in the car. A loss for certain, but consider the gain in durability of batteries, and the overall trip distance.

Also, I recommend keeping the Alternator installed for a backup, and for belt use because, without an alternator installed in the car at all you will need a plate with a pulley on it to be able to continue using the belts and the other equipment, such as power steering which can be a safety issue in the wrong situation. Also I am fond of a backup plan.

OK, lastly, get a good golf cart style battery charger, and use it every night when you get home. Install professional heavy duty quick disconnects like they use on forklifts, to make connecting and disconnecting more expedient and safe.

Tweak these concepts as required to fit your driving style... simply and basically, short commuter trips need less power reserves or fewer batteries, and longer trips need more. Recharging at work if the boss allows, helps as well. It is far less expensive to use grid power to recharge then fuel in most cases or so they tell us right? So, if you are not ready for the complete electric swap, this is a good middle ground.

OK, getting tired... good night. Oh, please forgive me for being a know it all jerk. I'm working on it.

Dipstick