View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #220 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post

I will leave the alternator and water pump physically in place. I was THINKING about install another pulley to a small tiny efficient electric motor to very slowly "turn" the water pump and alternator. this way my belt and my bearings won't "rot away" on me. this way I can just rebelt if I need too for any reason.
Wouldn't worry too much about that, honestly. I've seen cars parked for 30 years that the alternators and engine accessories still function perfect on. In fact, I just bought a 70's Ford big block pickup that's got the original alt and water pump on it at over 100k miles, and they both still function perfectly after it sat in a field for 10 years. It also started and ran on the 10+ year old gas that was in the tank, worth noting... yano, back when gasoline was actually made of gas.

Even the tires are still holding air after it sitting that long in the weather, rain, snow, etc. and no attention ever being paid to it other than to stack junk on the flatbed or in the cab.

If you plan on leaving the belt off for long periods, a quick blast of WD40 once a week at the alternator's front and rear sections will be more than enough to keep the bearings from getting corroded and "rotting" away.