View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #77 (permalink)
sundogjax
EcoModding Lurker

It all depends...

IAD (It all depends):

Job -
First - What does your close job (CJ) pay vs. your far job (FJ)?
Second - Quality (intrinsic rewards) of CJ compared to FJ?
Third - What long term career benefits (networking) CJ vs FJ?

If the jobs are functionally similar as described above - CJ beats FJ.
If not - on to the next analysis level.

Vehicle
First - What is you capital cost for the commute vehicle (CV)?
Second - What are the operating costs for CV (Maint, Ins, fuel, etc)?
Third - Added = commute cost CJ/FJ per unit (days, weeks, miles, etc)?

CJ costs will likely be lower than FJ costs, but not always so. If you have a FJ and a low cost commuter vehicle, it may cost less than a CJ with a high cost vehicle and urban parking charges. Not likely, but possible.

If the jobs are not similar - commute costs may effect your decision. BTW my 2001 ZX3 cost $3K (56K miles) and costs @ $.16/mile to drive. How you buy, what you buy, how you insure, how you drive, age and sagacity all effect your cost... Agree, average cost is > $.55/mile, but that's why they call it average ($.55 is the current Gov mileage rate). MN Driver nailed it in the thread above.

Drive
First - How much time does your CJ/FJ commute require?
Second - How much stress does your CJ/FJ commute impose?
Third - Potential uses for CJ/FJ time differential? (same or different?)

Slowmover has reviewed this above. I leave at 0445, get to the gym at 0525 (33 miles on empty interstate) and get to my desk at 0650. I leave work for the 33 mile return trip @ 1530 - way ahead of the stupid traffic. Listen to WSJ in the AM and Glenn Beck in the PM - would be doing exactly the same either at work or at home. Refreshed, composed and ready for the next item at the end of each leg.

I have biked to work (San Diego, New Orleans, Tampa Bahrain), flown to work (29 yr USN Pilot, worldwide), walked to work (New York City, Newport, Norfolk, Bahrain, USS Enterprise, USS Underwood and many other ships), and driven to work (Jacksonville, San Diego, Miami).
Short is usually better... but IAD.