Thread: sound reduction
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
chrisgerman1983
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
I have a lot of knowledge about the glass industrie. I am not sure about your idea of pressure it may help but it would be minimal. You could change the exhisting glass to laminated which would lower vibration or you could add a clear film which would also lower sound transfer but both of these although they would help would not be as good as double glazing with at least one piece of laminated glass or better yet placing another piece of glass on the inside on an angle from top to bottom. It does not have to be a steep angle. If your window is four feet high and you set your new piece preferably laminated an inch away from you existing glass at the bottom and hafl an inch away at the top this would be enough. This is what they do in recording studios, I have done a few of these over the years and this is very effective, I am not exactly sure about the science but if I remember correctly the angled piece bends the sound wave somehow.
Great idea! thanks! i may look into what it would cost to have the windows re-glazed with laminated glass. Only thing is that windows and doors are the strata's responsibility but i am sure they would not be opposed to me changing them out of my own pocket. A second set of glass inside may be a great place to start though... i would have never thought of putting the glass on an angle but it makes sense angles within sub boxes make a huge difference on resonance! if I can help it I never make a 90 degree angle when building enclosures.