View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #83 (permalink)
eco_generator
AeroGuy

Outback 14 - '14 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogjax View Post
Your situatuion in life is a compendium of the decisions you make ( BTW -
I lived in a trailer park for years).

As an example - observe the behavior, and sucess, of many of our minority immigrants. Everyone has the same opportunity - just not the same result.
Sorry for the generalization, not everyone that lives in a ghetto or trailer park is in a bad situation. But I used it to quickly sum up the point of the conditions of someone's upbringing.

Everyone does NOT have the same opportunity. That makes the assumption that all schools are equal, parental support is similar across the board, and all job applicants have an equal chance, etc.

I'll just give you an example: Suppose someone with a horrible upbringing that went to terrible schools and does not happen to look like all the other workers in a company succeeds tremendously... because they simply applied themselves to improving themselves and education and morality. Yet their closest family members keep coming close to losing their homes through no fault of their own, creating a situation where it would disperse the family. The person chooses to help out because having a family together is more important than just being ok by themselves. Do they really have the same opportunity?... because otherwise they would be going against their morals to max the 401k and let their family rot.

And the point is not that people making good money should be able to put that kind of money away. But telling people to just go out and make that money is not really a legitimate thing to say.