View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #84 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The worst childhood situations can make for the best people. Ben Hogan watched his father blow his brains out at age 9. The hard childhood made him an especially driven person who had to fight for everything he earned. Early in life he boxed for money. Later in life he was one of the best golfers who ever lived. After a head on collision with a Greyhound bus, the doctors told him he would never walk again. In that same years time he managed to walk the many miles it took to play in the US Open and he came in second place, on legs he was told would never support him.

Some people who are born into priveledge waste their opportunities. Some born in the worst situations go one to become wealthy and famous, it that is your measure of success. I was lucky to have and still have parents who always loved and supported me. For some in the same situation that is the kiss of death.

I sold my Maxima to a gent who commuted 55 miles each way to his job. The job was a government contractor, a job that can disappear quickly. He was drving a new Tundra and got about 16 MPG. He had 90k miles on the Tundra in 3 years. He told me the Maxima would pay for itself in a year and save him tons of depreciation and wear and tear on the Toyota. His house in the country was paid for and he had no desire to move to the metropolitan area. At 28-30 MPG the Maxima cut his fuel bill in half and saved him about $3500 a year in fuel costs.

I totally agree that those who do not enjoy a stable childhood with a close family group, do have an advantage, but they also seem to, in many cases, be those who throw their lives away at a very young age.

regards
Mech