View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #177 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Robert: could you summarize your DC-DC switch/disable modification? I read your thread on IC. Anything further to report since then?
I followed Mike Dabrowski's suggestion there.
In a stock Insight, the MCM pulls DVINH low to turn off the DC-DC converter. If the engine is off and the high voltage battery is depleted, the MCM needs to be able to turn off charging to protect the HV battery. The ECU will also disable charging for a few seconds if you go above ~3500RPM.

What I did was cut the DVINH wire. Leave the MCM side dangling. Wire the DC/DC side to a toggle switch on the dash, and hook the other leg of the toggle switch to ground:
DVINH (pin 6) at DC/DC-----toggle switch-----gnd

The result is that you've revoked the MCM's authority to inhibit DC/DC operation, and given that authority to a toggle switch.

I think if you spliced into the wire instead of cutting it, then either the MCM or the toggle switch could turn off the charging system. That's probably the better way to do it.

On an Optima Yellow Top D51 battery, I got about 2/3 of the way around Seneca Lake before I had to turn the charging system back on. No battery likes being cycled, so this is really not my favorite mod.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertSmalls For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (06-07-2012)