View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
War_Wagon
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Fair price for my 1992 Jetta diesel?

I bought a '92 Jetta last year with intentions of making my own fuel etc. Except now I work about 5 miles from my place, so even in a "normal" vehicle my fuel costs are low. And I don't really have the space for making biodiesel. So it was just sitting. It is a Eco Boost (I think that's what it's called anyway), so it is an IDI with a small turbo on it. 5 speed, factory lightweight 13 inch alloys, no rust, straight body, decent interior, faded but polishable paint with 336,000 KMs (208,000 miles). My friend asked if I wanted to sell it as his nephew wanted a cheap diesel to horse around with. We went and looked at it and after sitting for probably 4 months since the last time I moved it, it fired up on the first half crank of the starter. No blue smoke, just some black when you get on it. But that's with 1 year old diesel in the tank too. Is $1100 too cheap for selling this thing? I don't mind helping someone out if they want to get into a high FE vehicle, but someone please tell me if I am giving away the farm! I can always sell him something else out of the fleet if the VW is actually worth holding out for more $$$$ on.