View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #54 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sularus View Post
Really ecomodded, "I do not think anybody has a right to drive below the posted speed limit". The limit is supposed to be the FASTEST you shall go on that road. It is acceptable to not go faster than the SPEED LIMIT! If I have traffic behind me I will do the speed limit on the dot, if not I am usually 5 under. I cannot stand the attitude of those like you who believe the speed limit is a minimum speed. I used to speed like everyone else, until I realized it wasn't saving me any time and costing me a ton in fuel. Take from this what you will, but don't presume to say that we are wrong for going slightly under the speed limit.

Jason
If you are going to quote someone, use the entire quote.

At least two posters have quoted ecomodded's statement and convieniently left off the part at the end about holding up other drivers. When you do this, you sound like a typical a-hole politician trying to make someone look bad.

As another poster in this thread said, it's all about being considerate to others. If you are under the speed limit and traffic is building behind you, either pick it up a bit or pull aside to let others pass when it is safe and convenient to do so.

As for the definition of "limit", lets be honest, it is generally a speed well below what a typical driver would consider a safe speed anyway. So, while it is officially a maximum speed, it should also be viewed as a minimum speed, by those that give even the slightest damn, about those they share the road with.

This is not about forcing anyone to drive a minimum speed, it is about imposing your own maximum on others. Doing so pisses people off and increases the chance of someone doing something stupid such as making a dangerous pass because they got tired of someone else imposing a lower than posted speed limit on them.