View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #226 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
After reading that someones electric cooling fan used 10 amps i had to look for a lower amp option. For the Flex-A-Lite brand, the amperage's vary from 28 amps to 5.2 amps. They have one 5.2 amp fan and one 7.7 amp.
A 9 or ten amp electric fan is the small size, a lot of them draw around 20 amps.
It appears Volkswagen has used the same fan in its diesel and gas 4 cylinder motors.
If my current electric fan dies, i will look for a lower amp fan.
Flex-a-lite Electric Engine Cooling Fans
On both my diesel Golf, and now the Festiva, I have no cooling fan. Don't let your car idle for any longer than you have to, and channel as much air through the radiator as you can by keeping airflow from going around, over, or under it.

Cooling fans, installed on the already piggish cooling systems of today's cars, are actually unnecessary. They're designed for a lazy market that likes the supposed convenience of leaving their car idle forever.

The only time it might be warranted (the cooling fan) or necessary, is if you're leaving the car on to utilize A/C. Even then, it's fairly easy to make a relay setup that will also turn a smaller, maybe 5A cooling fan on when you turn the A/C clutch on.

Removing the fan actually increases cooling capacity, also. It makes it so the air doesn't have an obstacle to move around. This is pretty easily identified because the airflow through the radiator moves the fan - obvious flow reduction.