View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
mechman600
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
on a trip like that I can get 53-54 MPG
Don't forget, the trip I do has MASSIVE hills - sometimes 8% grades for 5 km at a time. Excuses, excuses.

I picked up my ScanGauge 2 last week. I calibrated the speed with my GPS (+3%) and calibrated fuel delivery on about half a tank (+8.9%). The SG2 seems quite accurate, but I will do a full tank calibration on my next fillup.

What blows me away is how much fuel my wife makes the car burn.

Today we did a 100km (62mi) trip. 50% highway/15% suburban/10% city. I averaged 6.3L/100km (37mpg us). That is pretty smokin' if you ask me - 37% above EPA. When my wife does the same trip, she gets 9.2 (25). She is not interested. And she keeps bugging me to speed up.

What I am learning about the Matrix with the SG2 is that watching load % is handy to determine how far you can press on the throttle before the torque converter unlocks. The threshold seems to be 78% load. Anything above that and it unlocks. I pulse and glide a little bit here and there, and the gliding is always done in neutral.

Soon I will do some proper testing on best acceleration methods (easy vs brisk up to speed), pulse and glide vs. steady speed, and maybe hill tests (3rd gear locked TC vs 4th gear unlocked TC).

For those of you with manual transmissions: I am jealous of you.