View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Personally I'm all for installing remote cut off switches that allow the power company to turn off electric hot water heater, air conditioners, electric vehicle charging and any other device that you are not going to notice it cycling on and off.
I think I would notice it if the power company turned off my air conditioner on a hot day for more than an hour or two. Also how would you like it if you walked out to your electric car planning to take an important trip pushing its range limits only to find it hadn't been charging for the past few hours and only has 80% charge. Then, once they turn off your electric hot water heater, air conditioners, electric vehicle charging, what if they forget to turn them back on again. Its bad enough having to call the power company to report your whole house power outage. If this goes through, you may have to call them asking them to turn your hot water heater or A/C back on if they forget to do so and how are you to know if your A/C is still dead because of continuing power company demands or because someone or some program at the power company forgot to turn your A/C back on. It would also make troubleshooting your "dead" hot water heater more interesting. Also many A/C systems have a definite shut down sequence at the end of their cooling cycle and don't like to have their power drop out in mid cycle.

Last edited by basjoos; 06-11-2012 at 02:20 PM..