View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #129 (permalink)
nerdboy
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Chris and his entire family of five [including a new born!] were in the Saturn wagon. Imagine negotiating the rough sections with a car load like that!? And they finished the event. Now that deserves a round of applause.
Yes, I had the pleasure of following Chris and family from the detour until their missed turn on Cabane Ronde (but I flashed them and it didn't take long for them to realize the mistake). It was fun pulsing and coasting behind them and watching them keep the little ones entertained while also navigating and hypermiling. We're really glad you came out Chris and hope that everyone had fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjstagame View Post
It does really stink to get penalized for being stuck behind slow drivers on roads that are next to impossible to pass on, but there are only a couple sections that that happens on. I hate that the penalty doesn't just apply to the mpg for only that section (I know logistically impossible to 'know' and do it that way), but it'd be nice to 'not worry' as much about 1 blown section. But then again I guess this isn't that big of an issue since 2 driver's managed zero penalties.
At each checkpoint, the cars are separated by 1 minute intervals. Of course, if the cars ignore their "out time", that doesn't help, and I suspect that's what happened. The white WRX control said they received 7 cars on the same minute the second time around (after the really bumpy road). Something clearly went wrong there!

In a typical rally, the most experienced teams go out first. Here though, it's hard to know which teams will make the best effort to respect the timing. They should go out first.

You can be very pleased with your performance Chris. Last year I achieved about the same raw fuel economy as you, and I didn't have as much traffic to deal with, nor the weight and distraction of any passengers. I think if you did the route again, you'd probably do especially well in both the L/100km/tonne and improvement over EPA/TC categories. Next year perhaps?